Saturday, February 12, 2011

Oscar Predictions 2011

Since I'm not in a pool this year, I thought I'd post my picks here. I'll also tell you who I would like to win, which is different than a prediction.

I'm not going to list the nominees...you can find those on oscars.org.

BEST PICTURE: The Social Network will win. Like 1976's All The President's Men, it captures the time and place and a milestone of not only history but of how people see the world. All The Prez's lost to Rocky, and that was okay. The Prez movie was overshadowed by it's high-profile cast. As far as competition goes, The King's Speech seems to be the only contender, but I'm thinking that's an old-school Best Picture. I think we've moved on and the Academy are picking more interesting movies lately (The Departed, No Country for Old Men, Hurt Locker, etc.).

I also think Social Network SHOULD win. It's my fav of the nominees.

BEST ACTOR: Colin Firth will win simply by process of elimination. Bridges won last year, Franco won't win because the amputation scene is a turn-off, Bardem has a dark horse shot, but he already won a Supporting Oscar a few years back and Eisenberg won't win because he does such a good job, it doesn't seem like acting. I LIKE Eisenberg cuz it's a tough part and he pulls it off.

BEST ACTRESS: Natalie Portman will win because the Oscars are dominated by a bunch of old geezers who wanna see a hottie win an award. Besides, she deserves it. MY PICK, TOO.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Tough one. Everybody says Christine Bale, but I thought his performance was to hammy and the movie itself wasn't gritty enough to make me believe he was crackhead or in prison. Hell, that crackhouse was nicer than some sober people's apartments. I'm going out on a limb and picking Geoffrey Rush to win, even though he won ages ago for Shine. I think King's Speech is an 'actors' movie, which is why they'll toss those awards at it and ignore it for directing, writing and best picture. I LIKE Mark Ruffalo. He's always good and deserves it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Tough one. I'm picking Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit, which is a close-second for me in the Best Picture category. She gives a performance unlike anything I've ever seen and the Oscars love a new kid. Amy Adams is also good and should have a shot. I LIKE Hailee myself

DIRECTING: Gotta go with Social Network again. The movie looks great and even though I love the Coen's, they have enough Oscars. MY PICK, TOO.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: King's Speech might win, but it's too weird to give the writing award to a movie about a guy who stutters. And it's not that interesting of a script. Like I said, it's all in the acting. I say they toss the bone to The Fighter. Great dialogue, nice pace, complicated story told really well. I LIKE Another Year, which may be the most interesting movie of the year.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Social Network. My pick and will win. If I had to bet on one sure thing, this is it. The writer Aaron Sorkin is a big cheese in Hollywood and taking such a seemingly dull subject and turning it into a script that unfolds like a creepy Hitchcockian thriller is amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home