Tuesday, November 25, 2008

'A Wonderful Christmastime'

I turned on the local easy-listening channel yesterday. My cat likes it, so I keep it on for him while I'm at work.

This Bay Area station plays nothing but Christmas music during the holidays (which apparently started on Monday!). So what's the first song I hear? Yeah, 'Wonderful Christmastime' by Our Paul.

I remember when it came out. Christmas of 1979. I was somewhat embarrassed by it. Being a Paul McCartney fan at the height of Punk Rock in Portland (a major punk town) was tough in the first place, but it got tougher when he released this one! The 45 sleeve had a goofy pic of our kid wearing a Santa hat. I thought it was some kind of joke! But I must admit, I do kind of like it. Like a lot of Paul's songs, they seem crappy then they grow on you.

Some interesting facts:

It was Paul's first non-Wings release since Ram, eight years earlier.

It has a cool B-Side, a Reggae synthesizer version of 'Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer'.

It didn't even crack the Billboard Top 100 (although it was a hit in the UK). Now it's on everywhere every damn Christmas! But in '79, it didn't get any airplay.

There's a video of it showing Paul and Linda with lots of family and friend types doing the Christmas thing in a Liverpool-type house. I haven't seen it ages.

It's a bonus track (along with 'Rudolph') on the Back to the Egg CD

Along with 'Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John and Yoko, it's the only Christmas Beatle songs that seem to get any airplay.

Ringo put out a Christmas album in 1999, but the only one from that I ever hear (and it's rare) is 'The Christmas Dance'.

George never released a Christmas song, but sometimes 'My Sweet Lord' gets some holiday play.

3 Comments:

Blogger therealshell said...

Your Beatles memories are wonderful; thank you !

5:26 PM  
Blogger John Goins said...

Thanks for the nice comment. I often wonder if anyone is actually reading this thing.

9:37 PM  
Blogger xto said...

Hi Sir,
Discovering your blog today. Thanks for your generous insights, I find it fascinating to read the thoughts of another Beatle Addict.

I would like to add a footnote if I may. George actually does have something of a "Holiday" Record: Ding Dong Ding Dong was released as a 45 to ring in the New Year and was included on the "Dark Horse" LP. I will admit that it does not receive much airplay though.

Most sincere best wishes,

Christopher

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home