Wednesday, September 01, 2010

South Pacific: The Book, The Musical, The LP, The Movie

I've recently discovered 'South Pacific'. It all started about a year ago when I attended the musical when a new production was playing in San Francisco. I thought it was super. So I Netflixed the movie and loved it, too.

Now I'm reading the James Michener novel that was the genesis of both and think it's Michener's best. I was never a big fan of his, but this book (actually titled 'Tales of the South Pacific') is a real winner.

I even got a copy of the original Broadway production on vinyl.

I wasn't completely unaware of 'South Pacific'. I'd heard some of the songs. 'Some Enchanted Evening', 'Bali Hai' and 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair' (which I first recall as a shampoo commercial!), but I'd never seen the film, much less the play. And yeah, some people will say 'it's corny', but so what. There's a big difference between 'good corny' and 'bad corny'. Like Frank Capra movies are 'good' and fluff like 'Touched By An Angel' are bad.

The world of entertainment is diverse. And you just like what you like. You can't fight it.

So after I have another listen to 'South Pacific', I think I'll put on an old Dead Kennedys album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home