Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Paul's Favorite Beatles Songs

According to a recent interview, Paul's favorite Beatles' songs are 'Blackbird' and 'Here, There and Everywhere'.

He doesn't elaborate much (at least in the article I read), but I think they are interesting choices. I'm glad he didn't say 'Hey Jude', 'Let it Be' or 'Yesterday'.

'Blackbird' is one of his best 'White Album' songs. And since the 'White Album' is probably Paul's weakest Apple-era album (it's much more a 'John' album), 'Blackbird' is a decent choice. More interesting than similar tunes like 'I Will' and 'Mother Nature's Son'. But I think 'Helter Skelter' is his 'White Album' high-point.

'Here, There and Everywhere' is a super tune, but I think 'For No One', also on Revolver, is better and maybe his best lyric ever.

But again, I'm glad he went with songs that weren't singles and in the case of 'Blackbird', somewhat obscure (although, I can only think of about five or six Beatles songs that could truly be called 'obscure'...e.g., 'You Know My Name', 'Flying', 'Inner Light').

I think Paul is looking at the songs not as 'recordings'. His musician/composer mind is probably analyzing them as notes, lyrics, chords, harmonies...and when you think of them that way, the two he picked are quite good and perfect in their own way. Complex but seemingly simple. Sweet but not too sweet in the way 'I Will' is.

Personally, I think 'Fool on the Hill' may be his best. At least that's how I feel today. Tomorrow it might be 'Wild Honey Pie'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home