Friday, July 09, 2010

Close Encounters of the Ringo Kind

So a Beatle turned 70 yesterday. Makes me feel kinda old. Ringo's birthday reminded me that I've been in Ringo's presence four times. In 1965 when my family saw the Beatles' get off an airplane at Portland International Airport. In 1966 at the Beatles' concert in Seattle. And twice seeing Ringo's All-Star band (early 90's probably).

But there was one 'encounter' that I also remember. I was about 10 years old and my family was taking a vacation to 'Hollywood'. We were in a tour bus driving along a main drag and the tour guide said, 'It looks like a film crew up ahead!' and as we approached I thought 'There's Ringo!'. But then the guide pointed out that it was actually Sonny Bono. Years later I realized that they were filming Good Times, the awful Sonny and Cher movie. I recognized Sonny's clothes and the location. I didn't notice Cher that day, or the director of that classic, William Freidkin, who would later go on to direct The French Connection, The Exorcist, and one of my personal favorites Sorcerer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home