Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Andy Williams Dies

When I was a kid, my Mom always made us watch the 'Andy Williams Christmas' specials. The early shows featured Andy and his kids and wife Claudine Longet. The weird part was that even after they got divorced, Claudine would still come on the show.

I guess it's kind of admirable because nowadays, having divorced parents at family gatherings is no big deal. They were TV's first real 'modern family'. And the fact that Andy supported her after she accidentally shot and killed her new boyfriend is also admirable.

I always liked him as a singer. I even have one or two Andy Williams albums. And he was cool back in the day because he had a 'Kennedy' connection and supported Bobby Kennedy's campaign for President.

But it really made me sad when he came out against Obama a few years ago. Sad not because he simply didn't care for Obama but how he said it. Williams called Obama a 'Marxist' and made other crazy statements. This from 'Mr. Christmas'. A guy who's whole persona was that of a 'nice guy'.

I don't have a grudge against every celebrity Republican. I still like Clint Eastwood even after the 'empty chair' stunt. So does Obama, apparently.

But regarding Andy Williams: Even though I find it hard to dismiss his 'crazy' statements, I still have a soft spot for him. 'Moon River' was my Mom's favorite song, and I still get a little choked up when I hear it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark Verheiden said...

Always liked Andy the singer, didn't know he went right-winger later in life, but whatever. I've had "Moon River" in my head since I heard the news...

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home