Monday, June 13, 2011

Leo McKern and Jane Asher

I Netflixed 'Rumpole of the Bailey' the other day. The show stars the late great Leo McKern who played the evil (and bumbling) villain Clang in the Beatles' second (and my favorite) movie, Help!.

So I'm watching the second episode, 'Rumpole and the Alternative Society', and the I'm thinking, 'Boy that guest star sure looks like Jane Asher'. And sure enough, it was!

The show was filmed in 1977, nearly ten years after her break-up with Paul, and 12 years since McKern worked with the boys on Help!. I assume they probably had met during the whole Help! experience. Probably at the premiere or some kind of run-in at the studio...can't say for sure, but I'm guessing so.

I wonder if they discussed their Beatles past? I would be surprised if they did, since both were extremely professional actors, and being the two leads in a talky script probably didn't give them a lot of time to chit-chat. But it is fun to speculate.

And in another bit of kismet, the episode revolves around Jane's character arrested for a pot bust! A problem that Sir Paul faced so many times that we've lost count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home