Saturday, June 05, 2010

USA Honors Paul McCartney

For some reason, this whole deal rubs me the wrong way. Yeah, I like Obama, and I don't think it's a 'bad' thing. But I actually find myself avoiding reading and watching clips of it.

The United States government has not been friendly to the Beatles. Especially ex-Beatles (except Ringo, who seemed to be able to avoid drug busts). I don't have to give you the history, but John Lennon especially was targeted by the government as a trouble maker and they made his life miserable for it. Paul and George also had problems getting permission to tour in the USA because of pot busts.

As a kid in the 60's and 70's, I remember how The Beatles were hated by the establishment. Now it's all lovey-dovey. I suppose I should just consider it 'water under the bridge'. But remember this: Paul McCartney refused to attend the Beatles induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of legal issues over EMI royalties with the other two (and Yoko). He thought it would be hypocritical to get up on stage and smile when they were suing him.

So isn't it also hypocritical to accept honors from a country that illegally went after his ex-partner? Nixon and the all-powerful FBI were out to get Lennon. A rock star. An entertainer. Outrageous.

Yeah, I know. It's all about 'change' and I dig that. But Paul's a British citizen. Is the ham in him so big that he doesn't see the irony of getting up and performing for the leader of the USA? It would be one thing to accept some award, shake his hand, maybe even sing 'Michelle' to the missus in private as a cute tribute. But it's so staged and weird. I wonder what Lennon would've done? I KNOW what Johnny Rotten would do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home