Saturday, April 24, 2010

Alias Smith and Jones

Got 'Alias Smith and Jones' Seasons 2 & 3 on DVD the other day. Season 1 came out years ago and I've been wating for the rest of them. I just loved that show.

As I'm watching and perusing the DVD notes, I see there's an episode titled 'Something to Get Hung About', obviously a pun on the 'Strawberry Fields Forever' line: and nothing to get hung about.

Pretty cool reference for a Western TV show. The episode was broadcast in October 1971, so the song was about three years old by then.

The script is by John Thomas James which is a pseudonym for Roy Huggins who wrote/created 'The Rockford Files' and some other shows. Huggins wrote pretty much every episode of 'Smith and Jones'. Not sure if it was his idea to use a Beatles' lyric for a title, but considering the lighthearted tone of many of his shows, I would guess that it was.

'Smith and Jones' was a big hit in England. I bet the British fans really dug the title.

It was a super show. Even if it was a blatant rip-off of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And it still bums me out that the star, Pete Duel, killed himself during the second season. I remember it was early in the day on New Year's Eve 1971 when I heard the news. That night, I attended a dinner at my church and someone has written on a chalk board 'Pray for Pete Duel'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home