Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Worst Beatles Song?

I remember a few years ago, a BBC poll said 'Ob-la-Di Ob-la-Da' was not only the worst Beatles' song, but the worst song ever. Considering the state of British pop music these days (isn't it mostly techno stuff? That's what I hear on Sirius BBC anyway), I guess it does seem pretty square. But worse than 'Billy Don't Be a Hero', 'We Built This City' or 'The Night Chicago Died'? I don't think so.

I wouldn't even rate it as one of the worst Beatles' songs. It's got a cool bass riff and I like the lyrics.

I've seen my share of 'worst' Beatles song lists and they include stuff that I don't think really counts like 'Wild Honey Pie' (really an improv throwaway), 'Revolution No. 9' (a sound collage) and 'Yellow Submarine' (a children's song). To be rated 'worst', the song can't just be 'not your cup of tea', it has to be a dismal failure.

I think it's a no-brainer. There are two worst songs: 'Baby's in Black' and 'Mr. Moonlight' (both from the same album, BTW). But since 'Mr. Moonlight' is a cover song, 'Baby's in Black' is the winner (or loser). End of story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home