Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sue Me, Hate You Blues

Three interesting stories in the Beatles News today (check the link over there somewhere >>>).

First, George's film company, Handmade, has had trading of its shares suspended for failing to publish their accounts. Hell, I didn't even know you could buy shares in Handmade! Maybe I'll buy a few...or maybe not.

Next, a court ruled that some footage of John filmed in 1970 belongs to Yoko. The film shows an unflattering portrait of John smoking pot, threatening to put LSD in Nixon's tea and other such things. The details of who's who in the lawsuit is complicated, but let's just say that Yoko has it now, which means it will ever see the light of day. Darn! I'd like to see it!

Finally, there's a little recap of the strained McCartney/Jackson relationship. Specifically, the bidding war for the Beatles songs (which Paul lost) and Paul's resentment that his 'friend' took control of the Lennon-McCartney canon. Of course, now Paul is all 'He was a wonderful guy' and it sounds like all is forgiven.

I often wonder about why folks like the Beatles, Beach Boys...even Kiss and the Dead Kennedys are always suing someone or each other and end up in some courtroom having a judge settle their business and 'intellectual property' issues. It seems to happen a lot!

And it's funny when you see the plaintiff and defendant all smiles, together at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, or a photo of them hanging out together, and you wonder...how does that work? Do they consider the legal problems 'just business'? And that it's more about the lawyers and not them as friends/colleagues? I don't know. But when I see Paul and Ringo together these days, I wonder, does Ringo ever say 'Hey, Paul. Remember when I came to your house to discuss the Apple mess and you threw me out and said I'll ruin you!?

Weird scenes in the goldmine, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home