Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Re-Mastered Mono Box

I see Amazon has already 'sold out' of the Re-Mastered Mono box. Damn. I really want to hear that mono version of the 'White Album'.

I am torn about this whole 'Re-Mastered' offer. I obviously want it and the packaging looks super and it's getting great reviews from those who've seen it. But if I had to make a choice, I'd rather have the vinyl copies of all the Capitol/EMI/Apple albums, both mono and stereo versions.

The irony is, while I'm still not sold on the death of vinyl and the rise of the CD, this Beatles 'Re-Mastered' collection is being hailed as the last gasp of the CD. Everything will be 'downloaded' eventually, and no one will be buying an actual 'object' like a CD, tape or LP. And when our entertainment experience is in our own hands with no three-demensional aspects left to it, more choice means less choice.

I guess it's just part of the whole de-evolution of media. I remember first noticing this phenomenon about ten years ago. I was working with a hip young dude who was into some interesting music, and I tried getting him to listen to some cool punk bands (I remember 'The Dickies' being one of my suggestions). He not only had no interest in giving it a listen, he had no problem basically telling me not to bother.

I was taken aback, and thinking, 'Geez, if some older guy who's been in bands and obviously knows a lot about music suggests some music and brings me some CDs to sample, I'd at least pretend to be interested and give him the courtesy of listing to it'.

So I said, 'Dude, you're only interested in the stuff you're already interested in.' His response was sort of 'Obviously. You're crazy, etc.'.

For all the great things the Internet, hundreds of TV channels, Netflix and the other benefits of the 'high tech' revolution, it also causes people to only seek out like-minded people and entertainment.

How does a 22-year old discover Bing Crosby or Citizen Kane? I don't know and sadly, I don't think they ever will. No more browsing in record stores. You just search for stuff that matches your existing tastes. And no more watching an old black-and-white movie on TV cuz it's the only decent thing on. You just download something similar to other movies that you've enjoyed. And don't even get me started about books and the Kindle...ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home