Thursday, July 05, 2012

Paper Moon

I've always been a fan of this movie. I watched it again recently on DVD, with commentary by director Peter Bogdanovich, and now I think I like it even more.


Paper Moon is one of those perfect little movies. Tatum O'Neal won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, even though she's technically the star of the film and should've been nominated for Best Actress instead. She's in all but one scene. Ryan O'Neal and Madelene Kahn as 'Trixie Delight" are also fantastic and I can't think of better performance by Ryan except for maybe Barry Lyndon.

It's too bad Bogdanovich didn't have more great films in him. He made a trio of classics in the early 70's. The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc and this one. But he got sidetracked in his attempt at making his girlfriend Cybil Shepard a star and never made another winner. I did like The Cat's Meow (2001) but that's probably because I'm a big fan of Kirsten Dunst, and Meow is one of her best.

Check out Paper Moon again. In this age when studios only concern seems to be comic books, vampires, the post-apocalypse and big loud comedies, Moon will take you back to the days of the late 60's and 70's when a bunch of young directors took over Hollywood and made a slew of wonderful pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home