Thursday, January 17, 2008

MY Top Ten Rock and Roll Performers

I generally hate it when I see a list of "The Best" of something, because they are either done by committee (which tells me nothing) or the creator of the list feels an obligation to include things that they feel "should" be in there to satisfy their audience, to come off as "hip" and not appear foolish.

And I question whether or not they have thought much about "qualifiers". So when thinking of a list of the Top Rock and Roll Performers, I first had to consider the criteria.

First, what is Rock and Roll? Check my previous blog, but in a nutshell, it's music that includes some or all of the following instruments: guitar, bass and drums and have a strong beat. And second, it has to be music that has touched the "cool" youth audience. Now I'm not going to define "cool", but let's just say it doesn't mean The Osmonds or Hanna Montana.

I've also come up with the following criteria:

1) Considered "tops" in their genre (or sub-genre).
2) An important influence to other artists of various genres
3) Have a large body of work
4) Experienced some success beyond their hardcore fans
5) I like them a lot

The criteria I've laid out would disqualify some of my favorite acts. The Sex Pistols don't make it, cuz they didn't release enough product. I wouldn't include The Rolling Stones because The Beatles are the "best" of that genre. Maybe it's unfair, but hey, I had to come up with some kind of rules. Otherwise the list would be redundant or so long it would be meaningless. Hell, my taste ranges from the The Cowsills to The Mentors. If I do a list of "My Personal Favorite" Rock and Roll acts, they would make it along with about 100 others.

So here it is. My list of the most important (IMHO) Rock and Roll Performers (who I also like a lot).

1. Elvis Presley
2. The Beatles
3. The Beach Boys
4. The Supremes
5. Bob Dylan
6. The Ramones
7. Elton John
8. Pink Floyd
9. Stevie Wonder
10. Black Sabbath

Not much "new" stuff in there, huh? Well, I'm still waiting for the next band or singer who'll knock my socks off. And waiting...and waiting...

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Verheiden said...

Black Sabbath?!! Cowsills, yes, Sabbath, no.

11:28 AM  
Blogger John Goins said...

I do love the Cowsills. They did the theme (first season only) of "Love American Style". How cool is that!?

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home