Monday, July 30, 2012

Spidey's Origin AGAIN!?

I haven't bothered to see the new Amazing Spider-Man film because, honestly, I can't sit through another version of Spidey's origin story.


I've read it numerous times in the comics, seen it on the 60's cartoon show, the 70's TV version, the first Tobey Maguire movie and I just can't do it anymore.

Why do super-hero movies feel they have to constantly re-tell the story and start all over again? The James Bond series has had plenty of 're-boots', but they just drop us in on the world of Bond. We don't have to be 'introduced' to him. I haven't crunched the numbers, but it seems like about half of the super-hero movies made in the last 20 years are origin stories. And I see the new Man of Steel is yet another origin tale of Superman.

The old Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes and Universal Monsters didn't constantly have to remind us of the character's beginnings. If they did, I don't think I would want to watch them over and over again (which I do).

I think it is just plain laziness on the filmmakers part. They are just rewriting something with a new twist instead of coming up with an interesting story. I would prefer to see a movie that assumes we already know Spidey and Peter Parker and Mary Jane and J. Jonah Jameson and get on with a new adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home