Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More Ringo on Sirius

I heard most of the Sirius 'town hall'. As I mentioned before, I'm a bit fed up with Ringo's 'grumpy old man' persona. More specifically, the things that irk me about Ringo are:

A) He doesn't seem to care that he's there. Getting Russell Brand to do the interview was a big deal and the main reason I wanted to hear it. But he doesn't acknowledge that and acts like the whole thing is a chore.

B) He tells the same stories we've heard a million times ('During the rooftop concert, I was hoping they would drag me off my drum stool.')

and C) He doesn't seem happy when people compliment his drumming. He just acts like (again), that it's a chore to even respond. Why not say the truth. that for years he really took it on the chin over his style. He supposedly couldn't do a fill. Wasn't technical enough. But the style is perfect for the Beatles, and on the later albums especially, really compliments the music. The fact that John Lennon and George Harrison, who could've hired any drummer in the world, picked him to play on their solo albums is proof enough that he's good. In recent years, a lot of top flight musicians (Dave Stewart, Phil Collins) have come forward saying how good he really was.


Looking back on his solo career, Ringo had some cool albums and hits. And I loved those early singles, 'It Don't Come Easy' and 'Back off Boogaloo'. And the albums Beaucoups of Blues, Ringo and Goodnight Vienna are great. But after that, he never did anything very interesting. Yeah, there was a good song here and there, but he's a novelty act. And three decent albums and a few singles is about what you would expect.

After his album sales slipped and he started jumping from one record label to another, he would've been better off sticking to drumming for other people and being in films. And that very first 'All Star' line-up was great. Joe Walsh, Billy Preston, Levon Helm, Rick Danko and Dr. John. But the subsequent tours had fewer true 'all stars' and Ringo is not front man material. He seems uncomfortable when he's not behind his kit.

On the other hand, if Ringo chooses to make records and sing, I'd rather he did that than do nothing at all. As a Beatles' nut, I'm always interested. But I'd have more respect for him if he would've called it quits after Bad Boy or Stop and Smell the Roses. And I just wish he seemed a little more grateful and enthusiastic instead of the guy who posts videos on his website saying 'No more autographs! Do not send any more items for me to sign! They will be thrown away! Peace and love.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home