Sunday, August 28, 2005

Concert for Bangla Desh DVD

The Concert for Bangla Desh will be released on DVD in late October. The DVD will include a making-of documentary, some rehearsal footage and a Dylan song from the show not in the original film.

Although it was a big deal at the time, and I do enjoy it, I was never crazy about the movie. Like Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour, the photography is lousy. Almost like a home movie. And I don't like the way George looks at the time with his billy-goat beard. There's also too much Ravi Shankar stuff and it's really a shame that he couldn't get John or Paul to join in. Having Ringo there was super, but George and Ringo are the two weakest links in the Beatles and Paul and/or John would've made the concert a major milestone instead of an interesting get-together.

Dylan's performance is nice but Leon Russell really steals the show.

Like the film, I was never crazy about the album. It was a huge success and (I think) won the Grammy for Best Album. But there's too much Ravi Shankar and Dylan on it. They really dominate the record. I'm a fan of both of them, but George should've had a few more numbers and Ringo only did "It Don't Come Easy" which is too bad. He should've done "Honey Don't" or some other old Beatles tune.

I'll review the DVD when it comes out. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home